American sociologists have been reading Sociological Images for years now, but I think it’s about time for this blog to go big worldwide. The blog, run by a group of US academics, offers sociological commentary on photographs, illustrations, videos, and charts in simple language. The blog is particularly strong when it comes to gender and family issues, but they post on race and ethnicity on a regular basis as well.
Here are some of the best Sociological Images posts on Asia and Asian America.
Asian femininity and the male gaze
- Google Imaging the continents
- Selling feminine passivity in a Cathay Pacific ad
- How to make a Chinese or Japanese book cover
- Classy Asian ladies dating site
Racism and exclusion
- Life in World War II Japanese American internment camps
- Race, ethnicity, and McDonald’s marketing strategies
- Racist caricatures in vintage Valentine’s cards
- China as a strategic political threat
- Cartooning the US Chinese Exclusion Act